Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


March 3, 2009
Non-Film Related Post of the Day: No Line on the Horizon
I've listened to the new U2 album No Line on the Horizon a few times now and I have to ask...Am I the only who has noticed that Bono can't carry a note even if you gave him a bucket, right? The guy used to have probably the best voice in rock and roll but now - even a studio cleaning can't cover it up. When I sing along with you, I'm the one that should have the shorter range. What's odd about the recordings is that the vocal tracks are so far out front in many of the songs. Not that he should be buried to hide him completely but the man sounds like he just drank a cup of Draino you might want to consider potting him down a tad.

Complaints about Bono's gruff voice aside, its a dang solid album. Basically, it stands as the sequel to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The difference is this album is more pondering, less singable. For U2 fans I'd say its like The Unforgettable Fire, they're in transition to something else but haven't gotten there yet. Provided we get another album out of these geezers it will probably be their fourth truly great effort. If you know their recordings you will hear a great deal pulled from previous releases, a riff here, a transition there. Its great that after all these years, they still are putting out relevant music.

Labels:



Share






3 Comments:

Anonymous Darrell said...

Provided we get another album out of these geezers it will probably be their fourth truly great effort.

I'm assuming that the other three are Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire? That'd be my list, anyway, and that's only if I have to come up with three. Truth be known, I can live without Unforgettable.

March 4, 2009 at 3:59 AM  
Anonymous Scott Nehring said...

Growing up I felt the same way about The Unforgettable Fire. Throughout my school years I thought it was the best thing I'd ever heard. Despite my love for the album, it ain't a classic. I was referring to The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind.

March 4, 2009 at 7:33 AM  
Anonymous Retro Hound said...

I can't wait to get my hands on this new U2. I may have to make a special trip to that big store everyone hates just to get it today. I almost went yesterday, but I hate going in there and it's all the way across town. That big store is about all we have in this small town, though there is Hastings I just remembered. And "all the way across town" is 10 minutes, but it seems so far away. I have all their albums, most on vinyl and CD.

March 4, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home