Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


October 12, 2009
Tyson (2008)
Should I see it?
Sure.



I won't pretend to know the first thing about boxing. To me, it is nothing more than gladiatorial lunks pummeling one another for profit. I see no art, no finesse, no inherent worth. In other words, I have no reason to find any interest in this documentary about the career of boxer/media punching bag Mike Tyson. It is interesting however. Tyson, for all of his ominous reveals himself to be a broken, essentially scared man.

As far as portraits are concerned, this documentary does well to show its subject, warts and all. Tyson is a bad guy, but he is at least willing to acknowledge his sins. He manages to present himself as sympathetic while admitting his troubled nature and shameful path.

This is far from a balanced film, but it does offer some insight into the all-too-common duality of the abused becoming the abuser. I think his openness and seeing how his weaknesses has themselves in his behavior is the film's hook.

If you are interested in the film, chances are you will find it compelling enough to track it down. If you're on the fence, this is a good portrait, but not a masterful one. If you skip it, you won't be missing anything. If you pick it up, you won't regret it.


Labels: , , ,



Share






1 Comments:

Anonymous Wes said...

I just wanted to say that I'm glad to see you back posting. I missed your movie reviews.

November 3, 2009 at 1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home