Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


February 26, 2009
Movie Watching Tip: Pick Some Film Critics
My reviews aren't for everyone. Some don't like my loose grammar others despise my Christian perspectives while still others loathe my politically conservative viewpoint. Some people just don't like that I don't buy into the hype that most of what comes out of Hollywood is worth seeing. 90% of it is utter crap that's not worth your time.

Even if you're not a fan of my stuff, you should find a couple of critics that you do like and stick with them. In our media saturated culture it is not possible for people to keep track of everything that is spewing out of the entertainment industry. Finding a couple of critics you can trust will help you sort through the pile of nonsense that comes at you every day. If you can identify a couple of critics who share your worldview and tastes you can track their writings to get an idea if something will be worth your effort.

Picking critics is easy. Find someone that catches your attention. Most sites will have a directory of films that are reviewed. Think of some titles you like and have clear opinions on. Find those titles in the directory and read what the critic has to say. If you concur with their opinion and they write it in a way that you enjoy, you've found someone you can use. Do this a few times so you have at least three critics. When a movie hits the market, check these folks out and see if a majority of them recommend the film. If so, you have something you will want to see.

I know this all sounds obvious but many people don't bother with even this slight amount of work and waste an untold amount of time watching stuff they have no shot at liking.




Labels:



Share






4 Comments:

Anonymous Darrell said...

My take is that your perspective is very much like my own, but that you're more critical. So if you like a movie I will likely love it. And if you love a movie, I should just go buy it.

It's funny... Ebert has been my go-to guy among the big'uns for years. His perspective and mine couldn't be more different. But I've learned to "read" the guy and I can still rely on him to tell me what I need to know about a movie.

February 26, 2009 at 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Scott Nehring said...

Whoa, that's very flattering. Thank you.

Dang right I'm critical - I approach films with the notion in the back of my head that the film makers are asking to spend our time - take a portion of our lives. Our time is a resource and pissing it away because a filmmaker is inept or lazy - that's just criminal.

Ebert is the godfather to every online critic.

February 26, 2009 at 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Retro Hound said...

Scott, you're one of my go-to guys. Although we disagree on Nicholas Cage. The Family Man is still an incredible film even after 20 viewings, and National Treasure is good for what it is. But, generally speaking, if you say "No" to a movie, that's good enough for me. There are those that you say "Yes" that I will never watch, and those you say "No" that I will watch anyway, but I find you to be helpful guide.

February 27, 2009 at 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Scott Nehring said...

Thank you very much. Geez, this is kinda turning into a love fest.

February 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home