Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


February 25, 2009
Content Thieves
One of the constant annoyances that comes with publishing online is content thieves. Short individual serving reviews like the ones I write for this site are perfect pickings for low lives who siphon RSS feeds. Even with my incredible disregard for basic grammar and spelling, my feed is being repurposed by at least three thieves at the time of this writing. Basically what these jerks do is take the content of my feed and repost it on their own sites without giving me credit. These thieves generally are hard to track down and even if found, it takes a DMCA suit. In most cases, these people are temporary and will quit their sites after a few months. So by the time the suit would be getting anywhere they would be gone anyway.

I've come to the conclusion that this kind of thing simply comes with the territory like comment trolls (I'm looking at you Greg). What sticks in my craw however is that at least two of these guys are actually getting huge traffic off my stuff right now. In one case he's getting ten times my traffic. Its like he stole my bike and then used it to win a race. On one hand I'm frustrated and on the other, hey the guy at least has the dignity to use my stuff properly.

Its gotten to the point where I need to start stamping my posts. I don't want to do it since it clutters things up but its probably the only way to cut into their traffic and direct back here.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with content pirates or can tell me how the heck this guy can take the same content here, repost it with no frills and trounce me in traffic, let me know. Thanks





Labels:



Share






3 Comments:

Anonymous Retro Hound said...

How do you find out about these guys? I know this is somewhat a problem at my blog, but they seem to be junk blogs linking back to me hoping for trackbacks. Not that it's doing me any good, traffic wise or advertising dollar wise. Speaking of which, I bought a John Wayne collection through your Amazon ad recently.

February 26, 2009 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Scott Nehring said...

Thanks for buying through my site! I sincerely appreciate it!

I find these guys because they pop up as "uncommon uses" on my feed reports. If you really want to see what's going just do a google search using a line or two from one of your popular posts - check the hits.

February 26, 2009 at 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Greg said...

Arrgh. That's frustrating. Even though I've been a troll lately it still sucks that people steal your content. I know you don't want to give them attention but I'd be happy to go and abuse them.

February 26, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home