Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


February 24, 2009
Movie Watching Tip: The 180 Degree Rule
It is a basic rule of film that when you're capturing a conversation it has to be shot from only one one side. This will keep a consistent left/right relationship with the camera and therefore the audience. Frank is talking to Estelle. The camera always stays on Frank's left and Estelle's right. If the camera crossing this imaginary line, breaking the 180 degree rule, the audience will become confused. It will appear as if the actors swapped sides or are both facing the same direction.




Christian movie reviews

Labels:



Share






4 Comments:

Anonymous Zee said...

Hi Scott,
I am taking a film course right now, and that is not at all what I learned about the 180 degree line. I just covered this on my blog so read what I wrote here. Maybe there's two interpretations but it sounds like you are saying here that crossing that line is bad. I learned that crossing the line is good and leads to a deeper viewer experience. http://zeesays.blogspot.com/2009/03/understanding-movies-chapter-2-german.html

March 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Scott Nehring said...

In my defense I will say this isn't the best written blurb I've tossed up. There is a line of thought that it is okay to break the 180 degree rule because it gives a sense of disorientation and will lend to certain kinds of atmospheres. As a general rule, and for more conservative film watchers (me) it should not be broken unless it is done intentionally for a good reason.

If a reverse angle is used it should still remain consistent even when applied to send the scene off-kilter. Not being consistent is the difference between a planned manipulation and chaotic stupidity.

March 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM  
Anonymous Zee said...

Well I think you were talking also about one on one conversations, where the stuff I learned was talking about big scene pieces with lots of characters.

March 15, 2009 at 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Scott Nehring said...

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNOT9iHDSXU

March 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home