Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


February 19, 2009
Henry Poole is Here (2008)
Should I see it?
Absolutely.


I watched this based on the recommendation of Julie Davis from Happy Catholic
. Julie and I have a history of not agreeing on films. To be more precise, Julie has a history of being wrong about films and I have a history of exercising great patience with her taste. This time around she recommended the film as an example of how Christian filmmakers should handle the topic of faith in their stories. She had just suffered through Fireproof, which she did not enjoy. I was more lenient with its flaws but understood her frustration with the film’s aggressive theological approach. This film deals with faith but is very approachable in its delivery. I am happy to say that Julie and I are in complete agreement. This is a very good film and well worth seeing.

As mentioned, the film is very approachable. The film’s personality is what makes the production so successful. The story centers around Henry Poole (Luke Wilson) a terminally ill atheist who moves into a neighborhood and discovers a Christ shaped water stain on his house. His neighbor Esperanza spots the stain and deems it to be a holy sign. Poole at first denies the stain looks like Christ but when local people begin to be healed after touching it, his theology falls into question. This is a conversation tale to a point. Poole is forced to confront his lack of faith in light of an obvious supernatural presence. The script by Albert Torres is careful to deliver the faith issues with a patient hand. The Christian aspects are not shoved down the audience’s throats but offered with life affirming humor. Lesser filmmakers may have gotten preachy with the story, Torres and director Mark Pellington (U2 3D) smartly let the religious characters speak for themselves. Poole is a smart and likable atheist who denies God even in the face of his impending death. The script doesn’t cheapen itself by making his protests against the existence of God too simple. Conversely, the religious characters are likewise enjoyable and have depth. More than being a story about faith, it is a story about real life people.

One aspect of the film that truly spoke to me was Poole’s impending death and how he handles it. In September of 2007 I suffered a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38. I went to the bank and dropped over at the change machine. If I hadn’t dropped two blocks from the EMTs, I wouldn’t be writing this today. I literally died and was brought back. Since then my condition hasn’t improved greatly. My HDL levels are stubborn and refuse to rise. Despite exercise, a good diet and taking steps in my life to reduce stress, my heart isn’t cooperating as it should. This said, I’m lucky to be alive in the first place so I try to look at every additional day as a continual Christmas present from God. Henry Poole reminded me a great deal of my own reaction to death. His despondency is handled perfectly and the attitudes he shows are exactly right. When the temporary nature of life is plain for you to see, the world takes on a strange essence. This can lead to moments of happiness and other moments of deep depression. While watching the film I found myself wondering if Torres himself survived some serious health concern or knows someone who did because he nailed the effect it can have on a man.

A final note, this film may have my favorite final shot. It may be a personal reaction more than a critical decision, but the final moment of the film was very moving. I want to thank Julie for recommending this movie. In turn, I recommend it to you. Even those of you atheists out there can expect to enjoy the film. It is an upbeat, well written work that deserves a chance.



Related Reviews:
Movies Julie Davis and I disagree about
Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
Millions (2004)
Memento (2000)
Serenity (2005)


Other Critic’s Reviews:
Combustible Celluloid
Hollywood Jesus

Labels: , , ,



Share






1 Comments:

Anonymous Robert M. Lindsey said...

I hadn't been interested in this at all, but now I guess I'll check it out.

February 19, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home