Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


June 9, 2009
Drag Me to Hell (2009)
Should I see it?
You have to ask?



Short Review: Drag me to hell, just don't drag me to this movie.


Is this film is as good as Sam Raimi's Evil Dead films? Nope. Its not even close. Raimi goes back to his schlock horror movie roots with this straight forward horror story about a young woman who gets cursed by a gypsy and is then tormented by a demon on a mission to take her to Hades. There's hints of his humor, moments of his inventiveness, but its clear the youthful spark is missing. This is more of an ode to his earlier films rather than an addition to them. It is too clean and careful where his early films were kinetic.

Another deficieny is the lead. The Evil Dead movies largely succeeded because of the mixture of Raimi and his lead Bruce Campbell. Campbell's genius for camp combined with Raimi's quirky style worked beautifully. Here, Raimi's lead Alison Lohman (Matchstick Men) is too plain to add anything to the proceedings. While she looks the part of a country girl trying to make it in the big city, Lohman seems out of place with the humor. It is as if she wasn't in on the joke. Where Campbell could carry a scene with a well executed smirk, Lohman is doe-eyed and flat.

Looking at this divorced from Raimi's history, it still doesn't mount up to much. The story is simple and strong but Raimi doesn't take it as far enough. Its not scary enough to be a useful horror movie and its not funny enough to be a comedy. Since there's no other purpose for making a movie like this, we've run out of reasons to see it.



Related Reviews:
Horror movies
Scream (1996)
The Shining (1980)


Other Critic's Reviews:
USAToday
Christianity Today






Labels: , , , , ,



Share






3 Comments:

Anonymous trench said...

How could you hate this film? Personally, I loved it.

www.7milesdown.com

June 10, 2009 at 6:10 AM  
Anonymous Scott Nehring said...

I wouldn't say I hated it, but I would say I was very disappointed. It has to be compared to Evil Dead and it doesn't fare well in that comparison.

June 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM  
Anonymous Krispy said...

Man, I had high hopes for this one. But your criticism is exactly the kind of thing that I notice in bad horror films, so I think I'll skip it. This sucks. Two bad Raimi films in a row.

I'd like to see him make another straight drama like A Simple Plan. I really enjoy that particular film.

Been away from blogs for most of the last few weeks, trying to catch up.

June 10, 2009 at 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home