Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


May 15, 2009
Movie Trailer: My Sister's Keeper
So the parents of a kid with Leukemia have another kid artificially created to act as a donor for the older child. The younger kid, the spare parts kid, is so used by her parents she's forced to sue them for emancipation.

Wouldn't the parents be brought up on child abuse charges?

Of course, the underlying aspect of this is abortion. This is why she says "its my body and I want to decide what to do with it." The extreme case used to propose the notion of a child's individual right to make decisions on their health care - meaning, abortion. You can't argue this character should be spared her parent's cruelty. Once the argument is won then it is extended on to other cases, like abortion. This is how legalities work and this is the point here. If the girl can say her parents do not have the right to demand she give blood transfusions or a kidney, in this extreme case, how can they demand she not get an abortion? The notion of children being given legal standing is goofy on its face given that they're children. Bring the parents up on charges and put the kid into a proper, loving home - movie done, another social agenda flick thwarted.

Now granted, I have not seen the movie and I'm basing my conclusions on the trailer and other information I've gathered from the marketing campaign, so I could be way off. I doubt it. I've seen enough of these social engineering movies to spot one when it comes by. Looking past my assumptions on the film's point, the work itself seems pretty stock stuff. Very conventional trailer, no signature design work and the dialog sounds very on-the-nose and forced. If I were a betting man, I'd say this has a very short run and is dispensed to the DVD shelves pretty quick.






Return to the movie trailers page


Screenwriters: Jeremy Leven (The Legend of Bagger Vance) and Nick Cassavetes (Blow)
Director: Nick Cassavetes (The Notebook)
Actors: Abigail Breslin (Nim's Island), Sofia Vassilieva, Cameron Diaz (There's Something About Mary), Jason Patric (Speed 2: Cruise Control) and Alec Baldwin (The Good Shepherd)




Labels: , , , ,



Share






4 Comments:

Anonymous K said...

It's probably pursuing another agenda as well: Government representation for children against their parents.

May 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Kylie said...

Why are you even reviewing this if you haven't read the book, or watched the movie? If you look closer it asks difficult questions. How far would you go to save your daughters life? Even if it meant putting your other daughter through operations she doesn't need. Also if you were the other sister, would'nt you do everything you could to save your sister? Or is being your own person more important? The book is intelligent, interesting, emotional and thought provoking

June 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Kylie said...

If you haven't seen the movie, and I would assume you haven't read the book, then why are you even reviewing this film? Nothing you say has any relevance to the film. The film is about a family on the verge of a breakdown. It asks impossible questions like, how far would you go to save your daughter? Even if it was putting your other daughter through operations she didn't need. Or if you had a sister who was dying, wouldn't you want to do everything you could to save her? Or is the need to be your own person more important? The book, therefore the film, is intelligent, emotional, and thought provoking. I would recommend it to any one

June 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Scott Nehring said...

You'll note the line "Now granted, I have not seen the movie and I'm basing my conclusions on the trailer and other information I've gathered from the marketing campaign, so I could be way off." in my post. I am reacting to the marketing of the film which in intended to portray the product in a good light. They put it out there and I'm giving my opinion on what I'm seeing.

If I am wrong on the assumptions I've thrown down then I am more than willing to retract my statement. Readers of my site know that when I'm make a strong statement in reaction to a trailer and I discover I was mistaken when I see the film, I call myself on it.

In this case, I sincerely doubt it is anything but a wad of social engineering nonsense. It doesn't matter if it "asks difficult questions" it matters how they answer them.

June 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home