Looking for a specific film review? CLICK BELOW

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z / Trailers / DVD Store


January 13, 2009
Dead Man Walking (1995)
Should I see it?
No...yes...



Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn in a movie together – why not just kick me in the shins and poke me in the eye?

I didn’t hate this film but I absolutely didn’t adore it like most other critics. I have a pretty heavy bias against Sarandon, so that counts into my opinion. The movie is so weighed down by its self-perceived importance that it leads to a stuffy presentation. Granted the subject of the redemption of a death row inmate is a serious subject, but the film is suffocated by its somberness. Penn offers a finely crafted performance as usual and is very intense, although to be fair, I’ve never seen him be anything but intense. Tim Robbins is not a gentle director. His scenes are crammed with obvious plays to the audiences emotions. His manipulations payoff more times than not but his intruding hand is a distraction.


Related Reviews:
Sean Penn movies
The Interpreter (2005)
21 Grams (2003)


Other Critic's Reviews:
ReelViews
Crazy4Cinema

Labels: , , ,



Share






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home